Originally from Auckland, Raj obtained his undergraduate medical qualifications at the University of Otago. Raj went on to pursue his surgical training around New Zealand and completed his General Surgery training at Auckland Hospital in 2012.
Subsequently, he spent a year in Canada for his fellowship. There, under the guidance of a world-renowned endocrine surgeon, he specialized in parathyroid, thyroid, and adrenal diseases. He then spent a year in Melbourne, Australia completing a second fellowship in oncoplastic-breast surgery. He was also the honorary fellow at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, specializing in melanoma and skin cancer. Concurrently, he further advanced his endocrine skills; to obtain his qualifications in competently performing ultrasound guided thyroid fine needle aspirations in the clinic.
Raj was fortunate to have worked with leaders in the world of breast, endocrine and melanoma surgery, and is very excited to bring his expertise to the Northland community.
Education & Experience
- Medical Council of New Zealand
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (RACS)
- Rural Surgery Section Member
- Endocrine Surgery Section Member
- American Association of Endocrine Surgeons
- Australian and New Zealand Endocrine Surgeons Association
- International Association of Endocrine Surgeons
- Breast surgeons of Australia and New Zealand
- Australia and New Zealand Breast Cancer Trials Group
- Australasian Association of Ultrasound in Medicine
- Melanoma Network of New Zealand
- Fellowship in Endocrine Surgery (American Association of Endocrine Surgeons) – University of Calgary, Calgary, Canada. 2014
- Fellowship in Breast Surgery – Royal Melbourne Hospital and Royal Women’s Hospital, Melbourne, Australia. 2015.
- Honorary Melanoma Fellow – Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre, Melbourne, Australia. 2015
- Care of the Critically Ill Surgical Patient (CCrISP) Instructor – RACS
- Australia and NZ Surgical Skills Education and Training (ASSET) Instructor- RACS
- Trainee Intern Supervisor for medical students from Auckland University – Whangarei Hospital
- Honorary Senior Lecturer – Auckland University
- NetworkZ Instructor – Whangarei Hospital
- House Officer Supervisor – Whangarei Hospital
- Raj is actively involved in teaching of registrars and house officers – Whangarei Hospital